“The GSSA is a crucial source of cultural capital.” –Pierre Bourdieu
“Reinventing the public sphere–right on, man.” –Jürgen Habermas
“Totally not what I meant by ‘class consciousness.’ But this is cool too.” –Karl Marx
Welcome to the website of George Mason University’s Graduate Student Sociological Association.
The GSSA is committed to encouraging a social and academic community among students in GMU’s sociology graduate programs. Interests and activities include:
- Organizing events ranging from informal social gatherings and brown bag seminars to panels and conferences.
- Publishing In The Field, a joint newsletter with the Public Sociology Association stuffed with articles, reflections, book reviews, news, student accomplishments, and more.
- Encouraging professional development through engagement with GMU faculty, D.C.-area scholars, and professional organizations.
- Facilitating the formation of student groups with diverse goals, from preparing for comps to playing intramural sports.
- Engaging the promise of public sociology through discussion, our academic work, and projects in our communities.
- Reaching beyond artificial disciplinary barriers to spread sociology outside the classroom and incorporate other humanities and social sciences into our social inquiries.
In addition, this website includes:
- A regularly updated blog featuring GSSA updates, links to interesting sociological content, and original musings from members
- A regularly updated calendar of events of interest to GMU sociology grad students
- Individual pages for all members
- Information about past and upcoming activities
- A comprehensive list of over 200 sociology and social science journals with h-indexes measuring impact
- A continually lengthening blogroll of sociology blogs
Please subscribe to our blog and follow us on Facebook, and don’t hesitate to e-mail us or leave a comment below if you have any questions or want to help build a student community outside of the classroom!